8.27.2013

Patching up your overflowing video game collection

I tackle unopened video games and look into some of the reasons some video games go unplayed. Even if you opened up the case, you'd play it for a couple hours, then shelf it. It didn't hurt anyone to know about the extravagance of your video game spending. While, just last year, I dropped close to $400 on video games alone.




And this is in no way the measuring stick. Unfortunately, I'm not a flamboyant gamer by these figures, according to other collections, but that's irrelevant. People whom do spend upwards of $1000 per year or more on video games can agree, that's an exuberant display of flamboyancy; however, your tastes are not too shabby. For me, there's less time in the day when you divide it up by my other activities. For instance, my day is broken up into blocks of reading, writing, games and music. By all measures, I keep busy, and I'm flexible. Further, we can get lost in the abstract thought, yet it means little at face value. By the same token, we can get lost in the abstract video game, which means more to us. The video game is a delicate canvas of an artist's work. And, how would Picasso feel about you meddling in his work? So, let's de-clutter video games with four helpful tips.

I have too many games in my backlog!

A likely scenario for the most serious of gamers. There's a lot of games out there and not all of them are our choices. I've noticed that a lot of the games I do buy are games that were recommended to me by a friend. In this digital age — in this era of social media, there are a lot of video games that center around a multiplayer aspect. There are a lot of friends I keep in contact with on a daily bases and I would consider them my extended family, and to a certain degree they are that. I get recommended about the latest and greatest first person shooter, or role playing game often by my friends. Which happens to be genres I'm interested in. The multiplayer aspects compels me to further intrigue, and next thing, I'm hooked! There's a following, and you can get lost in the pack, especially if you're not heading it. I put off games I haven't played, which are fresh releases, in favor of the oldies. Video games so old to a fast pace industry that they're sprouting grey hairs. I prioritize new releases by interest. Doing so allows me to forego the jitters of a new release, and work my way up.


I don't have the time to play video games!

Me either, or so I thought. My perception of time varies and differs from yours, but time itself seems like its always dwindling, and that can be frightening especially if you crack under pressure. There are many ways one can free up more time, and video games, they're not so bad. They can be relaxing in an unrestricted way. Restrictions such as stress, depression, and anxiety can actually force you to confront these issues in a video game. Which isn't always beneficial. Although, who says competition doesn't fuel you to be your best?

Video games aren't worth my time!

As a gamer, this can be paradoxical. It seems to stem from the underlying belief that video games are nothing but violence and nonsense. If you take a look at the many accusations aimed towards video games, you can see this paradox at play. Growing up I didn't play video games because of it's content. On the contrary, video games were escapes from many of the real violent acts I've witnessed growing up. And, the least of my worries were the video games that were rewarding. Additionally, I've learned a lot from the video games themselves. I've learned about stories, which, help me to tap into my imaginative facilities.


I can't decide what to do with my time!

Indecision is a reflection of an inability to decide. Most likely, your indecision stems from too many options. In the majority of video games, there's coop, multiplayer, and single player. Such indecision can freeze you stone cold in your tracks. This is a problem I have. I spread myself too thin frequently and rarely feel I have the time to do the things I want to do at specific times. Writing about it seems to help, or jotting it down in a to-do list. I know I have to make these changes, but my actions are disinterested in rationale thinking. What I've learned best through sheer effort is that discipline is accountable for the majority of my decision making.

To surmise, all of these tips mentioned can alleviate some of the pressures of clutter, if you choose to organize more effectively. There are a lot of video games to play, there's a lot of TV to watch, music to listen to, places to visit, people to meet. Say it with me now! Organize your video game collection by priority and learn to work through that mountain of clutter by prioritizing, or drawing up a to-do list. It can work wonders in your life. Realise that even your video game collection may need to be organized!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts to begin the conversation